Last summer, we ran a popular series of “Getting to Know Us” posts 1, in which we shared some of our personal and professional stats with our readers. We share links to this series at the bottom of this post. With the January founding of SageBroadview, we wanted to add Principal Larry Annello’s profile to our series. Without further ado, here’s Larry:
GETTING TO KNOW LARRY ANNELLO, CPA/PFS, CFP®
The Professional Stats
- SageBroadview Role: Principal
- Street Cred: 20+ years – and counting – as a partner at accounting firm Del Conte, Hyde, Annello & Schuch, P.C. (DHAS); 13+ years as managing principal of DHAS’s affiliated Broadview Financial Planning, prior to co-founding SageBroadview. Various finance positions in the private sector prior to that.
- Degrees and Such: Certified Public Accountant with a Personal Financial Specialist designation. CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional, bachelor’s degree in accounting, Magna Cum Laude from the University of Hartford in Connecticut. Completed two specialized business programs at The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
- Community Connections: Board member and Treasurer of the Child Abuse Prevention Foundation of Farmington, Inc.; directly involved in raising over $100,000 for this special cause.
- Professional Associations: Member of the AICPA and its Personal Financial Planning Division; the Connecticut Society of Certified Public Accountants (CSCPA); the Financial Planning Association (FPA); and The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA).
When he’s not working…
My wife Beverly and I enjoy nothing more than sitting around the dining room table with our family and friends, enjoying a home-cooked meal and some fine wine. We also love vacationing in Vermont, soaking in all of its beauty and simply enjoy the peacefulness.
For the love of photography
When I’m on my own, I dive into my photography hobby as an enthusiastic amateur. Photography drives me to get outside and visit places I’ve never been. I’ll crawl into the woods, for example, to get just the right shot at just the right time of day. Having a photogenic Golden Retriever, Molly, close by often leads to a nice portrait for the family archives.
Early life lessons
I was an only child growing up, and my mom passed away when I was 16, leaving me and my dad in survival mode on everything from managing money to learning how to cook. My dad taught me early on the lifelong importance of looking out for each other and making responsible financial decisions.
Why the Yankees?
All I know is that my father was a Yankees fan and he would listen to Yankee games on the radio day and night. I’ve been a Yankees fan since age 8, after the first game I went to in the old Yankee Stadium. Everyone in our family today is a Yankees fan. I hope the day will come that I’ll be able to bring a grandson or granddaughter to Yankee Stadium as well.
Favorite analogy on client relationships
I like to tell prospective clients that we’re going to learn to dance together. At first, we may step on each other’s toes as we learn the patterns. When we get our steps down, it should be a harmonious flow. We should be wondering why we haven’t done this dance long before.
How to get a rise out of him
I generally keep my opinions to myself. But when I think somebody’s ripping off one of my clients … Get out of my way, baby.
I look forward to connecting with you.
1 The SageBroadview Getting to Know Us series:
Getting to Know Us: J. David Principe, CFP®
Getting to Know Us: Christopher J. Annello
Getting to Know Us: Lynn Iannetta Baker
Getting to Know Us: Wendy Vissar
Getting to Know Us: Sheri Iannetta Cupo, CFP®